How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27758
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother is threatening to call the police and say I'm

Customer Question

My mother is threatening to call the police and say I'm threatening her. I've have never threatened or laid a hand on her in my life. I lived with her for the past 52 years. I'm 52 and she's 89. She's verbally abused me and other relatives her whole life. She even hit her own mother. I will stand up for myself and tell her off, but I'm not a violent person. She did say she'd love to hit me. If she calls the police they are going to believe her. What should I do? I've been a good daughter to her, but I can't take the verbal abuse.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Indiana. The threat to call the police just happened today.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. This is the first time the situation escalated to this level. Also, I don't have much money for an attorney. I work part time and I'm on Medicaid and food stamps.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: My sister and my daughter know what my mom is like.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately many cases of this sort are what we refer to as he said/she said cases. That is, the complainant has one version of events, the defendant has another and it all comes down to credibility.

It doesn't take much for the state to file charges against you. All they need is a reasonable belief that you may have threatened your mother and made her fearful for her safety, and you can be charged. You may be right that if your mother goes to the police you could end up having to fight a criminal case.

For a conviction, on the other hand, the state has to prove you guilty of this crime beyond a reasonable doubt. If you are charged and want to fight the charges, you will get your day in court. At that point if you do not earn enough money to get yourself a lawyer, you could plead not guilty to the charge and then tell the judge you need him to appoint you a free lawyer.