How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42323
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My child turned 18 Last December but is having to go an

Customer Question

My child turned 18 Last December but is having to go an extra yr in secondary school cause he missed to many school days while with his mother his 9th grade yr. Now he's starting 12 grade and will be moving into an apartment provided by his mom and step dad. Do I still pay child support? Papers only say 18 or finishes secondary school or emancipated or self supporting.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You have to keep paying if he has not graduated high school.I understand he is 18 but until he graduates you still have to pay.You could not prove emancipation here if he still is in school. Hopefully this is just one more year you have to pay until he graduates.As long as he is enrolled and progressing the court will require you to pay.If he drops out or doesn't attend in t his year you can return to court and seek to terminate it.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.