How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116710
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work in US with B work permit visa. How can I get a power

Customer Question

I work in US with HIB work permit visa. How can I get a power of attorney to nominate my father to represent on my behalf for my divorce case filed in India?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your father as power of attorney could not actually represent you in the divorce, you would need to engage an attorney in India to represent you in any actual court proceedings. If you are seeking to deal with this out of court, you would have to get your father in India to have a local attorney write an "apostille" which is a power of attorney recognized in India, then you would need to have them send it to you to sign and get to the India consulate/embassy near you for them to sign the Apostille and seal it so you can send it back to your father. You can also seek to get a service to draft it and get it signed to send to him such as or
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the Information.
The divorce petition was filed, when I was in India. With the help of my lawyer in India, I had my father nominated as to represent on my behalf, along with my lawyer for the court proceedings. Now, my wife has filed another petition for recovery of maintenance, which will also be handled by same lawyer. Since I am in US now, my lawyer wants me to have a power of attorney (my lawyer had sent me a format of this), which needs to be signed and attested here from US. He suggested that its possible for a lawyer here to provide me that. But I am not sure on whom need to be contacted, whether a general practitioner could do that, or else I need to contact a lawyer who handles International/Immigration laws?
From what you suggested, it looks like I need not contact a lawyer for this. Please let me know if my understanding is correct?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

You would need a lawyer to do the power of attorney. If your attorney says that the court in India will accept a US Power of Attorney form, you can do it yourself with a form from the US State you are living in at and then take it to a local notary to sign in front of the notary (most banks have a notary service for customers) and then send it back to your attorney.

If an apostille is required, you need to use one of the services I mentioned above.