Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My 19 year old daughter who lives in VT is online dating a

Customer Question
16 year old boy in...
My 19 year old daughter who lives in VT is online dating a 16 year old boy in CA. they want to meet - I will not let her go to CA on her own to meet him, but am wondering what issues are possible if he was to travel to VT to visit. Age of consent is 16 in VT and 18 in CA.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: thank you.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I asked a lawyer friend for advise, she indicated that she thought that since it was 16 in VT that these laws would apply to him if he was here. But she is not this type of lawyer and so thought i would do more research.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: My daughter does not intend to be active sexually with him, they want to meet to see if they want to continue to date remotely. She is in college in Michigan and can only see him once a year if they decide to stay together.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/18/2016
Family Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

There is nothing wrong with your daughter dating someone below the age of consent, so long as they have no sexual contact with each other. Kissing, holding hands and other types of affection not involving sexual gratification and/or contact with erogenous areas are NOT considered sexual conduct.

In his own state, he would be below the age of consent and they would not be allowed to engage in any sexual conduct. In Vermont, they would be allowed to have sex, but the Federal age for sexual consent is 18. So theoretically, if she invites him to Vermont and has sex with him, she could be in violation of the Mann Act.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer