Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My daughter doesn't have custody of her two sons She is a

Customer Question

My daughter doesn't have custody of her two sons She is a recovering addict.Her dad and step mother have been in contempt of court by not letting the boys maternal family see them Their mother doesn't see them eitherWe raised them from birthIf the grandfather got custody of them but gave joint custody to his wife a step parent They filed for adoption My daughter appealed twiceJuvenile court says its in circuit Circuit court says they won't muddy the waters My ex husband was put in the federal penitentiary for fraud Cashing his deceased fathers pension check for years now Help me pleaseThank youKelley in Tennessee
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: My daughter doesn't have custody of her two sons She is a recovering addict.Her dad and step mother have been in contempt of court by not letting the boys maternal family see them Their mother doesn't see them eitherWe raised them from birthIf the grandfather got custody of them but gave joint custody to his wife a step parent They filed for adoption My daughter appealed twiceJuvenile court says its in circuit Circuit court says they won't muddy the waters My ex husband was put in the federal penitentiary for fraud Cashing his deceased fathers pension check for years now Help me pleaseThank youKelley in Tennessee
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: We tried we got a court appointed atty for child support
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: She's the only one who has paid it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. My practice is limited to family law and appeals, but I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, contract law, and other types of law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site.

At the end of this discussion I'm going to ask you to please rate me as that's the only way I get credit for my time here today. Are you okay with rating me at the end of our discussion? Thanks!

Please also understand I am typing my answer to your question – usually a detailed answer – and I’ll be back to you asap.

Can you tell me how the children got into the care of her father and stepmother? Did child protective take the children? Was she in treatment in a hospital or was she incarcerated? Thanks.

These are the grandparents who want to adopt? Whose parents are they and do they have any skeletons in their closet?

Your daughter needs to find a family lawyer in TN who handles cases such as this. She needs to stop the adoption because once it goes through she probably will not be allowed contact with the children.

If you need information about lawyers in your daughter's area, I would need to know city/town near the courthouse so I can find family lawyers who do adoptions in that area. Not all family lawyers do adoptions or contest adoptions, so this is very specific as to the type of lawyer she would need.

I want to help you but you're going to need a lawyer in that area for her who does adoptions and who can oppose an adoption. That is a very specific type of lawyer and I'd need to know what town or city this is in so I can find lawyers for her. I will give information as to how to pick one of the lawyers. We cannot recommend a particular lawyer, but we can send you a list and then I have a guide as to how to choose a lawyer from the list. It will be easy to select a lawyer based on the information I give you. I'm just waiting for the name of the town from you. Thank you for letting me help you today. I don't know all of the specifics because all the details are not here. That's okay. You don't have to give me all the details. I want to help you anyway, and it is important for me to know what town or city so I can send this information to you, at no extra cost to you.

Would it be easier for you to have a phone call for this? I'm happy to talk to you by phone if you'd like. Just let me know -- thanks.