How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have paid off $38,000 in back child support over the last

Customer Question

I have paid off $38,000 in back child support over the last 10 years thru Winona County taken the monies from my check $243.00 every 2 weeks. I have keep tabs on the amount through the child support website. According to their figures less than $80.00 was owed as of June 11. Yet they continue to take the full $243.00 from my check. I have called the office, but you cannot talk with anyone, they have to call you back, which they fail to do. Is it legal for them to continue taking the money? Current support ended 5 years ago.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

It is not legal for them to continue to take your money over and above what you owe. As such, you need to place them on legal notice of the issue. The best way to do this is to send the Winona County Attorney a certified letter with a return receipt in which you respectfully ***** ***** situation and ask that immediate steps be taken to remedy the problem. You can tell the attorney in the letter that you are aware of your legal rights and will be forced to seek legal restitution is steps are not taken to address the issue. Ask that the send you a written response as to the measures being taken within three days of the post mark on your certified letter.

If they do not stop this process, you can file for an injunction against child support services in Winona County and you can seek reasonable damages and attorney fees in the process.

The letter method to the attorney works 9/10 times in my experience. Moreover, if you have to seek an injunction, it shows your reasonableness and due diligence, which is great evidence.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE Stars) on the ratings bar on your end so I can receive credit from the site for my response.

Best wishes going forward!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any additional questions?

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions or comments? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to make sure all is well. Let me know if you need anything.