How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33436
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Where to begin. My father in law whom is also my landlord is

Customer Question

hello, where to begin. My father in law whom is also my landlord is very verbally abusive to my husband. He verbally badgers my husband any time given. He wishes my husband would commit suicide and has stated this on numerous occasions. However it was just brought to my attention that My father in law has been giving my husband bad references. My husband used to work with his father at their family auto business. and my hubby has not been able to find work. Now I know why
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no not yet. I have yet to find one that will listen or willing to take on such a case
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: There is a lot more that is going on but in a nut shell my father in law is constantly harassing my husband to the point my husband is have severe panic attacks. while my hubby was working with his father his father refused to put him on the pay roll. And has literally set him up to fail.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can some one sue a family member for emotional distress? as well as for work related abuse? Since my husband is the one I am inquiring about. He used to work with his father and his father has been very verbally abusive to the point my husband has panic attacks. His father is a control freak and will say things like, Why don't you go kill yourself" or "You'll never amount to anything because you are stupid" ect. But while employed by his father his dad refused to put him on payroll. As well as after leaving said employment, His father (we just found out) was giving horrible references so no one would hire my husband. There has been a lot of emotional and financial distress and my husband is at his wits end. No his father is threatening to evict us from the home we've rented for 7 years. HIs dad is the land lord. However we have had multiple flood in the home that his father refused to address appropriately as well as we have black mold in the home. His dads response is, then move if you do not like it. HELP
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The situation is very convoluted and there are a ton of more info but I'm just stating things in a nut shell. There has been too much to even type to tell you the truth. If you feel we may have something. Some grounds for a lawsuit then at least I can have my husband get in contact with the proper attorney
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

There is no protection by virtue of being a family member and you can sue for Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress (you can see the question(s) that the jury will have to answer on this at

It's very hard to prove damages on this though simply because it's hard to put a number on it.

Work related abuse is hard as well since CA is an employment at will state and it will usually either fall under that or under workers comp laws.

What you would want to do is find an attorney near you that does both Civil Litigation and Employment Law. You can find one at In the section for Area of Practice enter those "specialties" and then compare lists until you see a law firm that does both.

It is a convoluted set of facts and causes of action so a lawyer will likely want you to put together any kind of evidence you have and then type out a narrative (story) for them explaining what all happened.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

Related Family Law Questions