How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a joint business with my husband years in FL and 16

Customer Question

I had a joint business with my husband for 4 years in FL and 16 years prior in Illinois. He was wanting to divorce me unknown to me until a few months ago. When I had had surgery and was recovering, he took the customers out of our business and started his own INC. in his own name and had the longtime customers do business through him and wire him all payments. These are large jobs with considerable profits. He gave my job away to one of his worker's wives. So now, I have a shell of a business and the clients are gone and I am paying the bills/insurance etc. on the initial company to keep it open. Since we have been married 22 years, and I was 51% owner of the first business, am I still the same with the business he opened in secret since it was during our marriage. We have not filed for divorce or separation and are still fully married.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Barbara,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You need to hire a business law attorney and sue your husband and his new corporation for Breach of Fiduciary Duty, Breach of Contract and for Unlawful Interference with prospective Business Advantage.

Your husband owed you a fiduciary duty as a business partner and what he stole you will be able to recover. You will have to sue him in civil court though to get it back---but I am all but certain that you will succeed. You might also want to consult with a family law attorney concerning a divorce as well.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Barbara,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,