Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
17897874

Do I need a letter of testamentary if I am listed as the

Customer Question

Hi. Do I need a letter of testamentary if I am listed as the executor? The amount with the company my dad worked for is $5000.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Yes, I am in calif.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I just received the letter today. I will talk to him tomorrow, if needed.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: That's all.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Yes, the letters testamentary must be issued by the court for the executor to be officially appointed. Until then, the nominated executor has no authority over the estate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. Professional and done in a very timely manner.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.