Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Have restraining order papers ex Now I 't want to pay

Customer Question

Have restraining order papers for my ex
Now I don't want to pay someone to give to him
So can I send my mom and does he need to sign? Or as long as ther handed to him
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What state is this in, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
California
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

If you mean to serve him when you initiate the restraining order, someone in your situation should not have to. Fees for filing a restraining order are typically waived by the Court.

Service of process can be by one of three actions:

-certified mail

-private process server

-constable.

The Court will offer certified mail or constable, and will normally waive a fee as statutory law requires, or will give you the chance to ask the court to waive the fee as part of the overall RO request.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
I am going offline for the evening. Please let me know if you need anything else answered and if not, please don't forget to RATE my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please use the REPLY or SEND button to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.
PS - here is the link to more information on how to file a restraining order in CA:
www.womenslaw.org/laws_state_type.php?statelaw_name=Restraining%20Orders&state_code=CA