How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has been living with s girfriend while attending

Customer Question

My son has been living with his girfriend while attending college. She went of the pill on purpose and did not tell him Now she is pregant. He wants to terminate the pregancy, she does not. What does he need to do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to hear this;

I would suggest that you encourage the parties to mediate the issue with a professional mediator so they can come to an agreement as to what steps to take (ie adoption as an alternative). If not, then eventually the parents would need to discuss issues such as child custody, visitation and child support.

When a child is born to a mother that is not married, the mother is the only recognized legal parent unless the father acknowledges paternity, or the mother files a court action to establish paternity. If paternity is proven (via DNA testing, which can be court ordered) then the mother can request child support. Of course, the father can request custody or visitation, if he chooses.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.