Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My child is 18 and wants to move to NY summer because he

Customer Question
My child is 18 and...
My child is 18 and wants to move to NY for the summer because he attends Columbia
University. The problem is he saw 3 therapist in NY and none of them helped him with
his eating disorder, panic attacks and depression. He said if he stays home he will commit suicide. Do I have any legal rights as a parent?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/15/2016
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Good morning. Who is going to pay and support him if he leave the home?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I said he will be on his own. He didn't even try to see a therapist for the last month he has been home.

Thank you for the reply. I was no sure if he was supporting himself financially. At 18 years old, he is free to leave the home. Even though he is your child and you are concerned for him, you can not force him to live at home. If h does not want to voluntarily get help and improve, that is at his discretion. At this point, if he is threatening suicide and you are concerned for his health and safety, you can call the police and report this and they could take him in and have him evaluated.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
glad I paid $64. for something I already knew!

I am happy to still work with you and answer any other questions which you may have, so please just let me know

The law does not often provide us with many options, based upon the situation, so I can only share with you information, that is correct

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer