How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29973
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My live in girlfriend,served me with a primary protected

Customer Question

My live in girlfriend,served me with a primary protected order,there has never been any physical abuse,we do argue a lot.She wont allow me to take out our 1 year old son out alone. She doesn't want me to have friends or even visit my family.I pay mostly all the bills.I did say I was going to take our son.. Back to the ppo what should I expect, do need a lawyer, The court date is next week.This is the longest I have been without seeing my son.I don't want to lose my son.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

It is in your best interests to take a lawyer with you to the restraining court hearing next week, because judges in this case are unfortunately predisposed to believe the alleged victim. On top of that, if she is granted a permanent restraining order, you won't be able to see your son until you go to family court to seek a custody order. A family court judge will be less likely to grant you custody or visitation if there's a restraining order against you. So, even though she's lying, the consequences if the judge believes her are strong enough that it really can help to have a lawyer on your side in court.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not trying to scare you, I just want you to be prepared for what could happen. Someone who is trained in questioning witnesses will be better able to prove that she's lying.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will be able to explain my side. Do I need bring someone to speak om my behalf.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

The judge should give you an opportunity to speak, and you're not required to bring someone to speak for you. Due process requires that you get notice of the charges against you and an opportunity to be heard, and that means you can talk at the hearing. You can also produce witnesses, if you have any, and any evidence you have that she fabricated the charges.

Related Family Law Questions