How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9908
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I prof that I am my grandmother's blood related

Customer Question

How do I prof that I am my grandmother's blood related grandson?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I am trying to get conservatorship from San Mateo county in CA. She says they are stealing from her and they won;t talk to me unless I can prove I am her grandson
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Who is stealing? The current conservator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She suspect the county. I've contacted them, provided my birth certificate and my driver's license and now they are teling me to provide documentation that I am her blood relative.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Blood relation can be proven by a DNA test, or by a chain of documents showing relation (ie grandmother's identification, then her child's information, and the grandchild's relation to that person - so via copies of birth certificates).

However, one need not be a blood relative in order to be appointed as conservator. If the individual is of sound mind, they can execute a power of attorney that authorizes the person appointed to act on her behalf as to all legal and financial concerns.

more information on that here:

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is legal binding?
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately no, that would not be binding.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

One can get a declaratory judgment from a judge, but they will likely require DNA testing to make this order.

Kindly rate positively if no further questions.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

checking to see how the above worked out; hopefully you are able to prove relation by birth certificates. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions