How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41638
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and I have property in Oregon which he lives..... 20

Customer Question

My ex and I have property in Oregon which he lives..... 20 acres with mine and his name then there is 10 acres in his girlfriend name and mine that he build a house on and lives there with his girlfriend, he wants me to sign paperwork on the 10 so he could put it under his girlfriend name except he got all this property while we were married and I never went back to court about it cause I got laid off from my job so I didn't continue with the rest of my divorce even though I did get my divorce final just didn't get my child support or property done so what can I do now?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You don't have to agree to this.Unless he is willing and able to buy you out completely at a price you can agree on then you can decline here.You can pursue divorce and a forced sale of all here, the court would find it community property if you were married when you purchased it.

If you have to here you can file for divorce yourself without a lawyer and seek to have it all sold for fair market value so that court divides out your share of proceeds.You can still get any child support you were owed if it was court ordered.

Self help with forms

If you cannot afford a lawyer here California permits you to file pro se on your own and obtain a divorce and property division and resolution of all the issues.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.This might be a great time to file and seek fair division of all the assets.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again for the chance to help.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

If you are a California resident you can file for divorce in California, I think you would do better here in property settlement.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Court would be able to divide up Oregon property as part of divorce.I would not agree to anything thats not a divorce and resolves all of this fairly.It may be a good time to file now to resolve it all.

Thanks again and the best here.