How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Georgia. Joint custody agreement doesn't mention my children

Customer Question

Georgia. Joint custody agreement doesn't mention my children traveling outside country. Their mother emailed to say they will not be available next weekend as ordered because she is taking them to Mexico. Maybe as soon as tomorrow. What are my legal rights? How can we stop her immediately? Today is Sunday. Can police intervene?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I want to welcome you to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Is she planning on moving to mexico or just taking them for a vacation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her trip to Mexico is just for vacation. However, I am taking them on vacation in the US during my court ordered visitation starting Friday.
Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

If a parent violates a Georgia court order regarding custody or visitation, the other parent can file a motion asking the court to enforce the order and hold the parent in contempt. The exact procedure will depend on which county you live in; many county courts have forms that you can fill out on your own. You’ll have to serve (deliver) your motion (legal paperwork) on the other parent, and the court will set a hearing date, generally within 30 days of service. If you need help finding the right court or forms, you can consult the Georgia Judicial Branch’s Self-Help Resources. You can also contact your local court

Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

I would file the necessary forms for your county and also contact your case worker. Inform them of the situation and that your ex is intending to break the custody agreement.