How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9912
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Divorce/separation : Mo : No : We're currently living apart

Customer Question

JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Mo
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: We're currently living apart because of my job. I'd like to move out. Prefer divorce, but I don't want to break my promise.
JA: Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Charter
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Children grown. Own home.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this;

Here are the packets for filing for divorce:

Missouri allows divorce based on irreconciable differences so one need not allege wrongdoing as is the case in other states.

If one has religious or moral objections to filing for divorce, they can file for legal separation. This allows the parties to live separately and divide their property and they are still legally married so neither party can remarry - but they are separated.

More information on that here:

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Checking in on the above.

Thank you for using JA.

Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I do if the spouse will not leave our jointly-owned home? Do I have the house professionally appraised, and pay for half?
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

One can get a court order for exclusive use and possession of the home; then when the court divides property, they will discuss the ownership interest of each party. One party can either buy out the other or the court can order a sale if neither party is interested or if it can not be afforded.

The party that is interested in purchase would have it professionally appraised and then would buy out the other, and the other would sign a quit claim deed; the purchasing spouse would need to refinance to have the loan in their name only.

Kindly rate positively if no further questions so I receive credit for my time. thank you!