How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118247
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Drl 253 subdivisions : No doing it without lawyer : Ok :

Customer Question

Drl 253 subdivisions
JA: The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No doing it without lawyer
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Ok
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: When would I get payout of his 401k pension and retirement benefits
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: I did that
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

DRL is "domestic relations law" and 253 is the statute dissolving or terminating marriage.

Under the law, you are entitled to a marital share of the 401K based on what the court decides should be equitable division of the property. You could get this lump sum immediately, but someone would have to pay the taxes on that if it is early withdrawal, or you can be eligible to take it when you reach the proper age, or the court can order your share to be rolled over into another qualified retirement plan. This is all something decided during the property division part of the divorce proceeding.