How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter, in Wyoming turned 18 and just graduated from gh

Customer Question

My daughter, in Wyoming turned 18 and just graduated from high school. my understanding is my child support obligation terminates on her graduation from high school. What kind of request do I submit to the court to request the termination of chicl support? Does this require a motion and a hearing, or can I just request an order be entered?.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I want to welcome you to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Is your daughter 18 yet?

Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

If you have your divorce papers, i would check the language in there. There should be clear language indicating the termination date of your child support payments, whether it is on her 18th birthday, or graduation from high school.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said in my question, my daughter is 18!..There is nothing in the custody agreement that addresses the issue, but the statute states at the age of 18 or upon graduation from high school. The question, is what is the process? does it take a hearing?
Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

i apologize, you are right that the statute says 18 or upon graduation. I am nearly positive it does not require a hearing but give me a moment to double check! Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

In Wyoming you are required to contact the case worker and let them know that your child has reached the age of 18 and you are no longer required to pay child support. Do you know who your case worker is?

Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

It would not require a hearing. It would simply require contacting the case worker and explaining your requirement has expired. Hopefully this answers your question. Is there anything further i can answer?

Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

hi there, is there anything i can do further to answer your questions?