How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is in federal prison and has given me power of

Customer Question

My son is in federal prison and has given me power of attorney over him. My grandson's mother was not married to my son, and has left my son she is living with a heroin dealer and she is an addict and pregnant with the dealers baby now. She has always refused me to see my grandson but she doesn't even have him. She has dumped him off at her grandmothers and that is where he lives. Sometimes she'll visit him on weekends but the my grandson's great grandmother that he lives with has been instructed to not let me have any contact with my grandson. I have called and left messages to the great grandmother begging her to let me see him. I have offered that I will even come to her home and sit there with her there if she would only let me visit him. He turns 11 in July of this year. I am tired of begging and sending money to the mother while she says if I send her money she'll let me see my grandson but it has never happened. I am to the point that since my son is in prison, he is my only child and his father is deceased. I am to the point that since neither parent is in his life, and I have Power of attorney over my son that I want to fight for custody for my grandson. I don't have the first idea on how to go about this. He is treated very well at the great grandmothers home but I want custody now because they have denied me from being in his life. I seen him when he was born and then 6 months old, that was the last time I held him. My son and the mother are both heroin addicts and well please tell me is there anyway I can do this. Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Has your son formally acknowledge paternity of the child?

That is, is his name on the Birth Certificate?