How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11759
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a wife who has a diagnosed mental health condition

Customer Question

I have a wife who has a diagnosed mental health condition called Borderline Personality Disorder. She recently went into a rage and moved out of the house. We don't have that much money because I lost a lucrative business due to a severe disability.
I recently found that my wife had been spending excessive amounts of money in one month, including buying an expensive car for herself we can't afford. I was shocked to learn the account had gone down about $35,000 in one month. At that we soon wouldn't have anything left. I, therefore, set up a separate bank account and moved of what was left into this account under my name only. I'm afraid she will file for divorce and sue me for the money I moved, which isn't much left. Is there anything I can do to keep her from getting to that money?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

​What state are you in?

How long have you been married?

Were the money recently spent by your wife used for her own benefit?

How much money did the wife spent on herself and how much money did you move to a separate individual account?

Related Family Law Questions