How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10261
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question regarding a legal separation in the state

Customer Question

Hello, I have a question regarding a legal separation in the state of Oregon. My separated spouse is allowing me access to a HELOC on a property she got in the separation. I am using those funds in a real estate transaction and the underwriter is requesting I get an amendment to our sep agreement stating she is giving me those funds to show my ownership of them. What is the easiest way to accomplish that?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

The quickest and least expensive way to get an addendum to the separation agreement is for the parties to stipulate to whatever condition they are now agreeing to;

It is the policy of this state:

(a)To encourage the settlement of suits for marital annulment, dissolution or separation; and

(b)For courts to enforce the terms of settlements described in subsection (2) of this section to the fullest extent possible, except when to do so would violate the law or would clearly contravene public policy.

(2)In a suit for marital annulment, dissolution or separation, the court may enforce the terms set forth in a stipulated judgment signed by the parties, a judgment resulting from a settlement on the record or a judgment incorporating a marital settlement agreement:

(a)As contract terms using contract remedies;

(b)By imposing any remedy available to enforce a judgment, including but not limited to contempt; or

(c)By any combination of the provisions of paragraphs (a) and (b) of this subsection.

(3)A party may seek to enforce an agreement and obtain remedies described in subsection (2) of this section by filing a motion, serving notice on the other party in the manner provided by ORCP 7 and, if a remedy under subsection (2)(b) of this section is sought, complying with the statutory requirements for that remedy. All claims for relief arising out of the same acts or omissions must be joined in the same proceeding.

(4)Nothing in subsection (2) or (3) of this section limits a partys ability, in a separate proceeding, to file a motion to set aside, alter or modify a judgment under ORS 107.135 (Vacation or modification of judgment) or to seek enforcement of an ancillary agreement to the judgment. [2001 c.203 §2; 2003 c.576 §108]

Generally the procedure referenced in subsec 4 takes longer, as that is a noticed motion, require service and filing, and then a court hearing; whereas a stipulation allows the parties to submit the document, signed, to the court, asking that it be entered as a "stipulated order".

Since the conditions for each stipulation are customized, the form would also need to be custom drafted to reference the current separation agreement and then to "stipulate" as to any modifications.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Checking in on the above.
Thank you for using JA

It is a pleasure to assist.