How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a child on the way we are doing a paternity test

Customer Question

I have a child on the way we are doing a paternity test after he's born she agreed she won't go after me for child support and I'll help out I did not want to sign the birthcirtificate if I found out he's not mine and be responsible if I sign and find out a month later he's not mine am I stuck
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Can you please state your specific legal question so we know what type of answer you are looking for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I sign the birthcirtificate and find out a week later he's not mine am I still bound by law for them I live in Florida
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you are wise to take pause here. Under FL law, if you consented to be named as the child’s biological father on the child’s birth certificate, then later you cannot disestablish paternity. You should not marry the mother of the child and at the same time represent to the community that you are the father. You should not state that you are the real father in a sworn document or sign a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity. All of these things can put you on the hook for child support. I would strongly suggest you do nothing until a paternity test confirms you are the father.

Related Family Law Questions