How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4188
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Psychiatric Evaluation of a person. What conditions need to

Customer Question

Psychiatric Evaluation of a person.
What conditions need to be met in order for a judge to grant a green light for such evaluation?
Is there a court appointed psychiatrist or it is always a third party - a hired professional?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The conditions for a Court Ordered Assessment depend on the context. These days psychological assessments have become routine in family court matters pertaining to custody. Some jurisdictions have made them mandatory. Otherwise one party or the other merely needs to file a motion asserting that the other parent suffers from a personality disorder for the Court to Order an assessment.

In other contexts there needs to be allegations made that the individual has acted out in a manner that suggests they may be a danger to themselves or others. A statement made to your therapist that you have suicidal thoughts can be enough to trigger an assessment.

As to Court Appointed, yes there are "neutral" Court Appointed psychiatrists, psychologists, and therapists. The client still generally must pay for the time. Only in cases of involuntary commitment will the COunty be paying for the assessments.

Perhaps this article will assist you in more detail:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,