How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34399
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved in with a family friend who was needing assistance

Customer Question

I moved in with a family friend who was needing assistance and needing help being taken care of he invited me to move and I've been a resident there for 8 months and I receive my mail there and I have paid bills there but groceries he kept the upkeep on the house and completely remodeled the house multiple things and now I have to move out but they are not trying to let me get my things how do I go about this
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licnesed attorney, and I look forward t assisting you.

Who is "they"?

Why are they refusing to allow you to take your property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a friend of my fathers an the people he had living there prior to me was taking full advantage of him. They was stealing his bank card, taking his medicine, had him living in complete filth, an not to mention all the traffic they had coning in. So he ask me to come stay there an help get the place back together due to him just having a stroke . so it took me two weeks just to clean the house to where I would even be able to sleep there because it was so dirty and started cleaning up the yard take care of him cooking cleaning and making sure he had his medicines getting him a new bank card from where they stole everything he had and this went on for about 8 months I was buying groceries every week doing everything I possibly could do for him and he landed his truck to a friend of mine who got impounded and he said I was responsible for paying for it well around about that time he had said some meaningful things to my little girl when I came home and really scared her so she was so scared to stay there so I stop staying there and my stuff has was there for 2 months and I told him that I don't feel I owe him any rent but I would go ahead and give him some storage fee for my things being there if that was the case and I went ahead and went over there and took $150 and groceries stuck in the frigerator for him. Just to make sure that he was eating and that he had things to eat in the refrigerator and after Heath scene I was moving out he told me that I was going to have to bring the cops there to get my things and then of course I explained to his mother who owns the house what he had been doing and how he had traffic and drugs and things in the house of that nature that I have wanted nothing to do with so he also got mad that I told his business to his mother and told me that I was no longer allowed to get anything else that was in the house
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Assuming the police will not help you because it is a civil, not a criminal matter, you can file an action for replevin in the county court where your property is benig kept. That is a petition where you ask a judge to restore possession to you of your property being held by someone else. The order to restore possession is under threat of being held in contempt. The court also has discretion to order money damages for the loss of use.

The clerk of the court will have the forms you need to fill out to start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so i cannot go there an get my things an my mail that i have coming there? I was told that no matter what i have rights an he cant keep my things. If i have mail coming there.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

No, they can not hold your things. That is illegal, but it is not because of your mail, it is because you have the right to take your own property. No one has a legal right to keep your property.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i go there an he calls the police then what wil happen ?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

The police will either tell them to let you get your things, or they will say they are not getting involved in a civil matter and you need to sue.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you still online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.