How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed a divorce agreement 3 years ago I was under the

Customer Question

I signed a divorce agreement 3 years ago I was under the influence of medication Xanax I deal with panic and anxiety disorder and my lawyers screw me over I trusted them they went against me in the end just for it to be over with cuz it was two and a half years and I have no money because I don't work I have disorders my alimony is going to be dropped and another couple years and I'm in big trouble to take my husband back to court but my X lawyer but non-modifiable without me knowing what that was
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nj and I can't get help legal help free because of the fact my husband gives me alimony but I'm in debt I had to attorneys and I have no help from the courts the judge she doesn't even pay attention
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Nope I have no money I don't work either I'm already paying off the second lawyer $10,000
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I can't you get some advice because I don't know what to do I put in motions over and over again very educated I went to high school
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: My husband's been traveling around for 7 years he made me lose all money on the only big ass that I had our house nobody's buying it and we keep putting the price lower and lower and the way the lawyers wrote it I have to pay on the principal if I don't live there until the house is sold but that house was supposed to be on the market last February ordered by the judge and he was supposed to come help me clean and maintain it and he never did it's a long story all I know is I supposed to live on his pension when I alimony drops that's only $600 a month I'm 55
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist? Please be as specific as possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I have a couple of questions can I take my ex-husband back to court and a couple of years to extend my alimony I was married 13 years I haven't worked from a year before we got married him because of my agoraphobic anxiety panic disorder chronic fatigue syndrome Epstein-Barr virus I was supposed to live for three years I might have of annuity that's left that's only $25,000 after taxes and penalties and 600 a month pension how can I live on that I just found out when I take Social Security at 62 I only get 35% of his social security which will only be $94 added to my $400 Social Security and heaps of trouble as I don't work and can't work and I can't collect Social Security Disability as I'm out of the window and my lawyer put non-modifiable I need some help I also left everything up to my lawyers I was on a lot of Xanax an antidepressant at the time as I lost my mother not too long before that and the judge knew I was under the influence
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get any help legally free because I make more than $11,000 with my alimony the year but I'm in so much debt I don't have a Buck left for another lawyer I had to I had to pay $ $45,000 with no job
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

If you signed an agreement not to try and amend the order then it will be very, very hard to convince a judge to allow you to do so and the presumption will be against it. Usually these type of orders are put into place and the person gets a little extra per month during the duration of the payments in exchange for the agreement not to modify. Whether a judge will or not is entirely dependent on that judge and the facts.

Have you contacted Legal Aid directly yet?