Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

If all of the money in a joint account is by SS and a state

Customer Question
retirement deposit of my spouse...
If all of the money in a joint account is by SS and a state retirement deposit of my spouse, no matter how much is in the account can any of it be garnished?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/7/2016
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

A few minutes please as I look into this.

If a collector tries to garnish money in your account, your bank must look at your account history to see if you received any Social Security or VA benefits by direct deposit in the last 2 months. The bank must protect 2 months’ worth of benefits from garnishment and let you use that money. If your account has more than 2 months’ worth of benefits, your bank can freeze the extra money so it is subject to garnishment.

Hopefully the garnishment issue was resolved and the above information was helpful.

Thank you for using JA - it's been a pleasure to assist!

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer