How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10275
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son lives in Pensacola FL with s mother. I live in Fort

Customer Question

My son lives in Pensacola FL with his mother. I live in Fort Lauderdale fl. I got divorced in Mississippi. The child custody states that I get him 30 days in the summer and one week in the winter. My ex-wife said that my son has a summer job (he is 17) and can't come but one week for the summer. I would like to know what are my options? please call me or email***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this;

The current custody order would continue to be controlling until it is modified by the court. The court with jurisdiction is the court that entered the original order, however, if all parties have relocated to a different state, that state can then make any necessary modifications under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act.

Generally for children in the late teens, the court will let them make the decision as to custody/visitation particularly if there is a valid reason such as employment. However, the court will typically try to modify the order so that the other parent still has significant visitation-such as granting more weekend visitation or allowing for more holiday visitation (ie Winter break, spring break).

But the current order would still be legally binding until it is modified.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

checking in on the above.

hopefully a successful resolution has been reached.

Thanks for using JA!