How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about back child support. I am legally

Customer Question

Hello, I have a question about back child support. I am legally blind,and my mother financially supported my children.My ex husband sent a total of $300 dollars during their entire childhood.i receive a total 0f $700 dollars a month from disability. My mother is currently in a rest home,she is afficted with parkinsons and alheimers.I would like to know if I can sue for back child support, even though my children are adults now. My son is also disabled with autism. Thank you Sandra BEAChler
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. My practice is limited to family law and appeals, but I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, contract law, and other types of law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site.

At the end of this discussion I'm going to ask you to please rate me as that's the only way I get credit for my time here today. Are you okay with rating me at the end of our discussion? Thanks!

Please also understand I am typing my answer to your question – usually a detailed answer – and I’ll be back to you asap.

Can you please tell me if there was ever a child support order? Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he was ordered to pay $266 per month. This was in 1988. He was also ordered to carry health insurance for both children, but never did.My daughter is adopted. How can someone claim he will love and support her? And leave her feeling abandoned. My children have not seen their "father" since 1988.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

I will give you an answer under both situations.

If there was a child support order, you should be able to enforce that order because there is no statute of limitations on child support. This is true whether you have disabled children or if there are no children with disabilities. Parents who owe child support must pay it in full even if the children are now adults.

It is much different if you never had an order.

In Oklahoma, a court may order support past majority, for an indefinite period of time if the child requires substantial care and personal supervision because of a mental or physical disability and is incapable of self-support and the disability exists, or the cause of the disability is known to exist, on or before the eighteenth birthday of the child. In other words, the action for child support should have been brought before the child's 18th birthday for each child, including one with a disability.

If there was no child support order, then it will be difficult to get one now.

Thank you for that!!!! That helps.

Now that you tell me there is a child support order, he is responsible to pay even if the children are adults. it's a hurtful thing for kids when their parent abandons them. They feel like they've done something wrong and it can be very difficult for them to adjust. I'm sorry to hear it, but you should be okay now as far as enforcing this order. There is no statute of limitations regarding child support. He owes, he owes, he owes, including interest. The state can take his driver's license, passport, and take other enforcement actions such as contempt of court if he fails to pay.

I suggest you see a family lawyer in your area. In OK, most court-ordered child support is owed until it is paid in full. All child support payments since late 1991 do not expire until they are paid.

Because there was a child support order, you will be able to go after him for it. He disobeyed a court order and now there's a lot of interest on what he owes.

If you need the names of family lawyers in your area, just let me know a large town/city you are near and I can supply you with a list of family lawyers and tell you how to be able to pick one. We can't recommend anyone but I can do the next best thing by providing you with a list of family lawyers in your area.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Does this answer your question? If you need more information, let me know as I’m happy to give it.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. Kindly rate me positively so that I can get credit. It is no additional charge to you.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you and best of luck to you!

Please let me know if you need any more information, such as where to find an attorney in your area, or anything else related to this question. Id' rather be rated positively and if I didn't answer all of your questions, I'd like to have a chance to make sure that I do. Thanks in advance for rating me.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any more information. I really appreciate your fair rating. It is the only way I can get credit for helping you today. I'm happy to give you more information if you need it. Best of luck to you!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you. Thanks and thank you for allowing me to help you.


Related Family Law Questions