How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29803
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 year old refuse to come home from s friends house s

Customer Question

my 17 year old refuse to come home from his friends house his friends parents took him out of state when i was trying to find him. the law officer i talked to at first was going to go get him from the house he said he can not leave they came back a differet officer is telling them they can keep him it his choice we live in mo he just turned 17 and dont like rules so wants to move every time he get is trouble what can we do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Missouri law prohibits restraining someone without their consent, but for purposes of the kidnapping statute, a person is deemed capable of consenting at the age of 14. Missouri Stat., Section(###) ###-####/a>. You can, however, ask that they be charged with interference with custody. Taking a child out of state to hide him from the parents is a Class D felony. Missouri Stat., Section 565.01450. You have the ability to call the police again, ask to speak to a superior officer, and tell them that you want to file a report and have them charged.

If police can't or won't help, then the option is to file a lawsuit against the other parents for false imprisonment and ask a judge for a temporary injunction that will require them to return your son to you until the case is heard - or they'll go to jail. Violating a court order that requires a certain action is contempt of court, and the judge would have the authority to make the parent sit in jail until your son turns 18 or until they send him home.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?