How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I by a court order have soul custody of my kids but let

Customer Question

If I by a court order have soul custody of my kids but let their father have them for half the year but nothing was done by a court order can I just take them back
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

You and the father can have any agreement you want between the two of you, BUT the court order is the default rule. In other words, the two of you can agree to whatever arrangement you like, but if there is no mutual agreement, the court order governs.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

So, in this situation, you'd have the right -- under the court order -- to take the children back and he'd have no real legal authority to stop it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the police would have to follow that should they be involved?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

The father could file a petition to modify the current custody order and ask the judge to grant him joint custody based on the fact that he's had the children, etc., but that'd be up to the judge to decide. Until then, however, the current order would remain in affect and in force.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

The police aren't likely to get involved.....but if they did....the standing court order would be what they would have to enforce.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Related Family Law Questions