How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Olivia Kent Your Own Question
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 871
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Olivia Kent is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Today I was served with an Order of Protection where my soon

Customer Question

Hi. Today I was served with an Order of Protection where my soon to be ex wife is trying to remove me from the home.
It has been signed by a judge - through my attorney can I have this contested or respond ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The order of protection is stating harassment due to text I sent asking to speak to the boys while they were on vacation and she did not respond.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm assuming it's a temporary order? If so, you will be able to contest it at the next hearing which should be scheduled within the week.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I have been notified of the first hearing when it was signed by the judge ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
until the hearing do I need to leave the home ? How do I know see my children for the week if she will respond to me ?
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.
If there is an order protection you need to get a copy of it. I'm assuming it says you can't have contact with your children or with her for a week. If you do reach out to them in violation of the court order you could be arrested, so please don't do that.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

In general, the temporary order is granted ex parte, meaning she goes to the court without notifying you and asks for the order. The permanent restraining order will give you a chance to be there and to basically call bull**** on whatever she is accusing you of.

Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I noticed you have not yet submitted a rating and therefore it remains "Open" on my end. I was wondering if you need any additional information or need me to clarify anything first. I’d be happy to do so. Please do NOT provide a negative rating if there's something you are unclear about; please just ask a follow up question and I'll be happy to answer it.

Related Family Law Questions