How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mom is 89, fair health, uses a wheel chair or a , is hard

Customer Question

Hi. My mom is 89, fair health, uses a wheel chair or a walker, is hard of hearing, has macular degeneration in one eye and extra thick cataract in other eye. She just left dad, 87, on Friday for a divorce.
He's been emotionally abusive, waking her from sleep to play cards, to make him lunch (he can walk better than she can with his walker), and he often complains someone has been playing or changing any of his things. A bit parnoid.
He has all of the money since he told her to stop working and come home to take care of him and his older brother.
[The brother passed in 2011. He was a WWII vet that had a mental breakdown while in the service. He went from he VA hospital to his mom who died in 1966, to his sister who died in 1972 from cancer to us. My uncle mental shape was that of a 6 yr old until 1987 when he had a stroke and became a mental 6 month old.
We changed the dining room into a bedroom for him and mom took care of dad's brother with little help from dad. The dr said to keep him up at the kitchen table so that his lungs could open for better breathing. ]
In 1989, mom fell on black ice, had to go in for a leg operation and from then on had one leg half an inch shorter than the other. After she recovered from that she was still helping to care for dad & his brother.
I am david, oldest of 3 sons. I worked from 1982 and retired Jan 1, 2016. I lived with my parents to help mom because she couldn't do it all and got little help from dad.
We are currently at my brother's home.
She wants to get a divorce because of the way dad still treats her. What are her best options?
Thank you,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, occasionally I will respond from a mobile JA unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response - but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. I'm not sure what you mean by "what are her best options?"... as far as what? If she wants to file for divorce she needs to have a Complaint prepared (or prepare one herself if she is not hiring an attorney) and that Complaint needs to be filed and served on her husband.