Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Shortly after finalizing my divorce, drastic changes

Customer Question
occurred regarding unemployment, substantial decrease...
Shortly after finalizing my divorce, drastic changes occurred regarding unemployment, substantial decrease in income and loss of health benefits.
I bought our house from my ex and was left with no cash flow. He does not pay for child support due to the house appraising for an excess, to compensate support monies. I had poor representation and my lawyer has left the state without leaving her former partner forwarding information. I am in need of financial help and my ex spouse pays nothing. What is my recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
6/4/2016
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel. Please tell me what state your divorce was in. Also, tell me how old are your children? And what year did the finalization of your divorce take place?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My daughter is 16 years old. Colorado and the divorce finalized 8/2014

Hello

Thank you. I suggest you can try filing a Child Support request at this time - showing a change in financial circumstances. However, if you had an agreement then the agreement is going to be binding. Do you recall if your agreement was incorporated into the final divorce? You could try to get the court to order mediation where the two parents can determine if the child is being financially neglected and why.

Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law