How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28362
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to have visitation with my grandson in Georgia.

Customer Question

I would like to have visitation with my grandson in Georgia. How do I go about this and what are the costs involved ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon.

n Georgia, under O.C.G.A. § 19-7-3, grandparents have the right to ask the court for visitation rights but they do not automatically have the right to actually visit their grandchildren. There are two ways for a grandparent to ask the court for visitation.

1. File a Petition for Visitation. A grandparent can file an original action in the form of a “Petition for Visitation” in the superior court. To file this type of action:

  • there cannot be any other cases before the court that involve custody or visitation for the child,
  • the legal parents (including adoptive parents) of the child must be separated or divorced (if the child is living with both parents, a grandparent cannot file a petition for visitation),
  • a grandparent cannot file this type of action more than once every two years, and
  • a grandparent cannot file this type of action in any year that another custody action has been filed regarding the child.

2. Join an Existing Case. A grandparent may get involved in an existing case for custody, visitation, divorce, or termination of parental rights.

In most situations, to win a visitation case, a grandparent must show the court, by clear and convincing evidence, two things:

1. The child's health or welfare would be harmed if the child could not visit the grandparent AND

  1. Visitation is in the child's best interests.

As far as the cost, you can handle it on your own if you desire and contact the clerk of court for the forms on Monday or retain legal counsel to help you, which could cost, depending on if they will handle this on a flat fee basis or what they will charge hourly.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.