How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29973
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a custody with my daughter and her mom keeps

Customer Question

I have a custody with my daughter and her mom keeps making/deciding affairs for her then asking/demanding I pay my share. First, elective surgery I belvie is too risky and disagree with it for a devated septum, her tumbling classes are only half attended to, her choice of car insurance is not reasonable (she has it at the most expensive options), etc. It just seems like her mom does / buys whatever then says I owe 60% for something I never agreed to / or asked. How do I get a say in my daughters affairs/upbringing?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

What does the custody/support order say about this stuff? Have you already paid for it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a parental agreement that in another agreement my wife signed states said she would sign it and hasn't to my knowledge. Do I refer to that agreement or the PA default law?

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Usually, you'd look first to your specific court order, then to any signed agreements, then the general law. That's because judges have a lot of discretion when making decisions. You don't have to pay 60% of all expenses if you don't have a court order that says you do. An unsigned agreement doesn't have any legal weight.

You may be able to get the court order changed, but it helps me to know first what it says (if anything).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am paying through domestic relations $660/mn. Is it in that paperwork Id' find the court order? we just went to domestic relations and agreed on a number. Does this mean there is no court order defining the terms? What should I do?

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

There should be something in writing that says what you're paying. If it ONLY says you pay $660/month, you never have to pay more than that. The mother would have to take you back to court to modify the order.

You do have the ability to file a Motion to Modify Custody, asking the judge to allow you to share in the legal decision-making process. But check first to see if she's even allowed to claim compensation or if the monthly payment is supposed to cover everything. It's common for the non-custodial parent to have to share uninsured medical expenses, but not as common to have to pay more than half of ALL child-rearing in expenses in addition to child support.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you need any more help with this?