How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9908
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am separated from my wife and was kicked out. I had to

Customer Question

I am separated from my wife and was kicked out. I had to move to Los Angeles for work. My wife and 1 child live in Portland, OR. I will make approximately $35k a year. My wife wants $860 a month for child support. Is that reasonable?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Oregon would be the state with home state jurisdiction; as such, their laws would be applicable. Can you tell me what the parenting time share will be - for example what would the visitation schedule be?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
far I've only been able to afford to fly up to visit my child one weekend a month, but my wife would allow 50/50 custody.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope to move back to Portland, but there are very little jobs in my field. So unfortunately I'm in LA for at least the next 6 months because of a contract job. I'm technically still a citizen of Oregon if that info helps.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Normally the court will order that travel expenses be split 50/50 unless one party voluntarily moves away (ie has a great local job, and moves just because they like a different area better).

Child support is determined primarily upon the parties' respective income, and the parenting time share (the more time spent with the child, the less support owed).

The rule of thumb is 25% of the obligor's gross income for determining child support; however, a more accurate figure (based on specific income, specific overnights, other information such as union dues, etc) can be obtained by using this calculator

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see how the above worked out for you.

If you decide to hire an attorney:

Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site:

Thank you for using JA!