How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm curious about a situation that cam across to me today I

Customer Question

My name is R***** ***** and I'm curious about a situation that cam across to me today I received a phone call from child support out of Virginia telling me my son has passed away 2 weeks ago no contact from the mother no other contact from Child Support telling me anything other than my son has died 2 weeks ago they tell me I don't have rights I'm not exactly sure you guys can help me or not but something's not right why wait the two weeks afterwards how did I need to know how did he die where is he buried at how am I going to obtain a death certificate to prove that the child support where I live at that my son has passed away and yet they still hounding me about Pan the mother $10,000 that I know I've been paying it that I'm just curious why is it still $10,000 if I'm if I have been paying it something ain't right and I need I need answers so if you can help me that would be greatly appreciated
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am very sorry to learn of this matter.

While I cannot confirm this over our forum (we are a "general information forum" only), I am concerned about the way that you were approached, and the fact that the caller demanded a sum certain which asks for money for a child support award that you say you have been current with.

I would recommend that you follow up with the court where the child support order was issued and see what orders were issued from them directly.

(You can also try contacting the child's mother as well to confirm whether or not the child truly is deceased, but I am worried that this may have been an attempt at a scam).

  • Assuming that this is an actual call from child support, you have a right to go back to the court that issued the child support and have an accounting of what child support was paid, and what, if anything, is still due and owed. (Child support can usually send you an accounting, but they do not create new balances or orders - only the court can issue an order for new or different amounts owed).
  • Assuming that this was a scam (your child is still alive, or your child truly is deceased, but the call came from a fraudulent caller who simply discovered his death), you should contact your local police department and report the call (they may not be able to track down the call - but it is important to make the report so that they can make an effort to do so.