How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the case the cops are called out on someone's girlfriend

Customer Question

In the case the cops are called out on someone's girlfriend and he did not do anything wrong and she goes to jail for laying her hands on his child if he leaves her does children's services have the right to make him sign over temporary custody to his ex wife and make him do classes even though there were no charges filed against him
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.

Children's Services will do whatever they think is best to protect the child. That being said, if he leaves his girlfriend and she doesn't have any more contact with the children, I don't know that they'd change custody to ex-wife. They would certainly try that if they felt like he was continuing to allow his child to live with a person who was potentially abusive. It doesn't matter if he was not charged, if they were to feel like he was allowing the child to remain in a potentially dangerous situation, they would definitely seek to remove the child to the other parent. They could ask him to take classes, even if he wasn't charged with anything, if they think he might be making some poor parenting choices.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If he moved and left her do they still have that right even though there is no contact
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.

There is nothing stopping them from trying. They do not have 'rights' per se, but they do have the duty to do their job. Their job is to protect the child. If they have any reason to believe that the child might not be safe, they will do what they think is necessary. It doesn't always seem fair, right, or make sense, but that is what they will do. His best option would be to present all actions he has taken to make sure his child is protected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if they are not letting him get the chance to do anything about this
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.

They should give him a plan to follow in order to see or get his child back. It would probably be in his best interest to hire a lawyer or consult his local legal aid office to see if they can help him. CPS will often do and go until they are ordered to stop by a Judge.