How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Albert Marmero Your Own Question
Albert Marmero
Albert Marmero,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 197
Experience:  Partner at Long, Marmero, & Associates, LLP
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Albert Marmero is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was divorced in the state of Rhode Island in 2002. My ex

Customer Question

Hello, I was divorced in the state of Rhode Island in 2002. My ex husband was very abusive to me, which caused me to file. He continued this abuse throughout the divorce, and i was diagnosed with PTSD and have been treated for it ever since. One of the ways he did this was by repeatedly taking me back to court after the divorce was final to try to aquire more of the marital assets. This went on for years, until I could no longer afford to pay my attorney to defend me. Ultimately, I lost everything. At this time, now that I am stronger and somewhat on my own feet, can I do anything by way of recouping the losses and forcing to pay for his damage to my health? Thank you. Pam
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Albert Marmero replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, your Rhode Island lawyer is probably correct in that there is little you can do at this point. Any assets you lost, were lost through the judicial process so this was all done legally and properly. The only way you would have some type of case against him were if you had concrete proof that he was using the system to harass you/intimidate you. But this will be very difficult to prove because his defense will be that he was simply seeking his rights in court and if he was successful in court that makes it harder to prove he was abusing the system.

Assuming you could prove this, you would then also need to prove that his actions caused, or led to, your health issues. And this would require medical documentation.

This will be a costly proposition, so be careful. Perhaps you could start by consulting a personal injury attorney. They will often take cases on a contingency fee basis whereby they are only paid if you are successful. Of course, they will only take a case on contingency if they feel the case is strong. Give this a shot and if no one will take it, then I think you need to let this go.

I hope this is helpful, even if its not the answer you were hoping for. If so, please provide a rating so I receive credit for responding to you. Also, feel free to ask follow up questions. Thanks!.

Expert:  Albert Marmero replied 1 year ago.

I have not heard back from you and I notice you did not provide a rating. Is there anything further you require?