How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27265
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently went through a divorce and the judge said that my

Customer Question

I recently went through a divorce and the judge said that my now ex-wife and I claim our children in regards ***** ***** taxes every other year being that they're independents. My now ex-wife has claimed them on her taxes as an independents for the past three years not following the judges orders. I know this past tax season she received over $8,000 for the children alone! Do I have any rights with child support payments in regards ***** ***** sum of money she was paid for our children?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. Did you not try claiming them? Just trying to get an idea of how this went on for 3 years?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She claimed the two girls well before the April 15 tax deadline. I, each time, was blindsided by this.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. If she failed to comply with the divorce decree/ court order, then she would be in violation. When that happens, a party can seek to hold them in contempt of court and bring them before the Judge. In this case, if you were allowed to claim the children and she filed prior to you, doing so and preventing this, she would be in violation of the decree. As such, you could go after her and see to recover the amount which this would have entitled you to, when filing your taxes. You want to figure out what the number would be and ask the Judge to order she pay you that, since she had no right to claim them when it was your year.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Related Family Law Questions