How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 868
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex wife is withholding our girls from day care this

Customer Question

My ex wife is withholding our girls from day care this summer at specific periods, in which is decreasing the children's monthly expenditures. Child care is lumped into support. Based off my % of income responsibility am I able withhold that % of the decrease (no child care) ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.

While your thinking makes sense, you cannot pay anything other than what the court orders you to pay unless the court modifies the order. Failing to pay less than you are court ordered, without requesting a modification, makes you subject to potential contempt charges. The other option would be to work something out with your ex-wife, where she returns a portion the support you paid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But she is not obligated to pay any return due to this decrease in child expenses...?
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, no, she's not obligated to do this, unless a Judge orders her to do so.