How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29984
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am already divorced, all properties have been settled,

Customer Question

i am already divorced, all properties have been settled, except for retirement funds, what should i do to proceed in getting my share of retirement.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma.

The way to get your portion of retirement funds pursuant to divorce decree is to complete and file a Qualified Domestic Relations Order ("QDRO", pronounced "quaddro"). Both spouses sign the order. If your former spouse refuses, you can file a Motion to Compel and the judge will make him do it. Once it's signed, send it to the company holding the funds. If the money is in an employer-held fund, they sometimes have their own forms they want you to use (especially if your spouse works for the federal, state, or local government).

A local attorney could also draft a QDRO for you. Otherwise, here is are instructions:

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you need any more help with this?