How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30167
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Tennessee if the person who filed the protection order

Customer Question

In Tennessee if the person who filed the protection order violates it by harassing and stalking the person that had the order placed against there recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Stalking and harassment are crimes. A victim of stalking and harassment can always notify police and file a police report, even if the perpetrator has a restraining order against them. The victim may also be able to seek a restraining order against that person. If they continue to make contact, then they could be charged with contempt of court for violating the order, on top of everything else.

There is also a civil cause of action for Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress, which allows a person to seek monetary damages against someone who behaves in extreme and outrageous conduct that serves no legitimate purpose other than to upset the target. That might be another option. A person is allowed to seek both criminal and civil sanctions based on the same conduct - if this person is convicted, the victim will automatically win the civil suit because the burden of proof is lower.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?