How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter in law wants to take my grandson to Ghana (her

Customer Question

My daughter in law wants to take my grandson to Ghana (her home country) with a open ended ticket. Can I stop her as a grandparent
JA: The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Family Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: My grandson is only 2, for a week or two would work with a return ticket. She will slip and forget to give him his malaria medicine or he will drink the water. I love my daughter in law , but she sent a notory to there apt yesterday with out telling my son and he did sign for his son to get a passport unwillingly . My grandson is on Medicare and their just starting to get ahead and she quits her job and says I need a few months. Concerned grand mom.
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Meaning
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do. While grandparent's right to visitation in certain circumstances, grandparents do not have the right to stop a parent from moving their grandchild out of the country or even out of state. There is no case law or state statute that has ever given grandparents that right. There was a case in Britain where a grandparent tried to stop a grandchild from moving to Australia that the court upheld for the parents right to make this move. There is no jurisdiction in the United States that will stop a parent from moving with their child just because a grandparent does not want the move to happen. The only exception to this would be if the grandparents were awarded custody and the parent lost custody of the child in state court. Other than that, unfortunately, you cannot do anything about this move legally to stop it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or number from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?