How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118762
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son and s girlfriend have a daughter they have all lived

Customer Question

My son and his girlfriend have a daughter they have all lived with me since she has been one she was born a addict that why she lived at her other grandmother's the parents were not together then and dealing with dcf which is over they moved in with me and things did not turn out well .In January she made a statement against my son which got him put in jail she went back to her mother's who threw her out because she was stealing and doing drug's within a week the baby moved in with me and has been here ever since her mother is homeless but the problem is that she is doing a lot of drugs stealing from me and we do have some proof she has stolen my debit card which I reported stolen my medicines reported that also came here today all high and I got video we have pictures of needles in her purse.but she is now telling us that she is going to take the baby because we wouldn't give her money and told her she had to leave that she couldn't be here around the baby like myself and the other grandmother do not want her to do this the baby is safe here with me we need to know if there is a way that we both can get shared custody of our grandaughter in till she can get her life right she has also been known to take the baby in the bathroom while shooting up drugs we need help we can't let her take her she's homeless and on drugs this is the only home this little girl knows please help two really desperate and scared grandmothers
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to file a police report against the mother and you need to insist on filing criminal charges against her for the theft. In addition if you have video you need to get to a local attorney because that video combined with your proof she has stolen from you would form a legal basis for you to get guardianship of the child from the court, but you would have to file a petition for guardianship in the court (You would do best not getting CPS back involved if you can avoid it) and prove that she is unfit with clear and convincing evidence as required by the US Supreme Court in Troxel v. Granville, 530 U.S. 57 (2000).