Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

My ex brother in law owes me $20,000 that I let m BORROW

Customer Question

My ex brother in law owes me $20,000 that I let him BORROW from MY trust. He signed the papers saying he was going to pay me back and that was 3 years ago. He has NOT once began and he is avoiding my calls. He lives in a different state as well.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me what state he is in?

.

What is your legal question that I can help with tonight?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How I can go about taking him to court. I am in MA and he is in OR
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

If he is in OR, you will have to file a civil suit against him in OR and sue him there so you can get personal jurisdiction over him and force him to come to court and defend.

.

Since this is well over the small claims court limit, you will need to hire an OR lawyer to file suit against him unless you are planning on going to OR to file the suit yourself. You will eventually have to go there personally for the suit if it gets that far, but the attorney can file the suit to start with and hopefully put pressure on him to repay you without this actually having to go to a trial.

.

.

thanks