How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2129
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Modification inquiry: mother and children liven in PA,

Customer Question

Modification inquiry: mother and children liven in PA, father "resides" in SC, but works in PA and MD. When I asked for a review, PA sent modification request to SC; nothing was done being that he doesn't technically live in SC.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.
Which state issued the child support order? Until you register your order in Pennsylvania then the other state has jurisdiction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I placed the child support request in PA. GA was the place where we divorced, hence the original child support was in GA. When I moved to PA I filed for child support through family services in order to get it modified for an increase. Because he lived in SC, the South Carolina courts then modified the original GA support and is now in SC. I live in PA. I was told by my case worker that it all needed to be done in SC.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Yes then South Carolina has jurisdiction to enforce and modify the order.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but my question is... what can I do or how can I go about getting it modified if he works in PA, but still uses SC as his state of residence. Is there anything that can be done in cases like these? He will never change his place of "residence" just so that he can avoid an increase even if he has a higher paying job now.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Just because allegedlybresides in SC does not mean you are not entitled to a modification. If he is making more factoring in the other states' income then SC court should agree to the modification.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Related Family Law Questions