How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30384
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My children's father (my ex husband) was charged with child

Customer Question

My children's father (my ex husband) was charged with child endangerment while my 3 children were in his care. He left my children in his home while he left for drugs and then overdosed with them there. I'm trying to find out information on this charge.
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Family Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: He is taking me to court to show justable cause to why I'm not giving him his visitation that is stated in our divorce order.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

If you call the criminal courthouse where your ex-husband lives, they can tell you whether this case is still pending or if it's been resolved. You can also go to the courthouse and make copies of the charging documents - criminal dockets are public record. The records will be more persuasive if he gets convicted before the hearing date (or pleads guilty) because you can bring those records to court with you to show the judge why you're withholding custody. If the judge finds that the father presents a danger to the children, he can rule that you're not in contempt of court for denying visitation. Whether the case is over or not, the judge will want to see what he's been charged with.

If you're looking for the original police report, then call the police non-emergency number and ask them what they need you to do to request a copy. Your children may also be able testify as to what happened, depending on how old they are (usually as young as 5 or 6 can tell a judge what they remember if they can demonstrate to the judge they know the difference between the truth and a lie and what it means to promise to tell the truth).

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?