How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27626
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 28 yr old daughter that is a drug addict and left

Customer Question

I have a 28 yr old daughter that is a drug addict and left over a year ago, and left me with her 4 yr old daughter ( my granddaughter) what steps can I take to adopt her? father in and out of prison. what can i do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Do you know where the mother is at this time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. In order to adopt her, you would first need to terminate her parental rights. For this to happen, you would need to file a motion with the court, advising the Judge of the situation, regarding her being a drug addict, her abandoning the child with you for over a year, her not being able to be found or even contacting you and asking the Judge to terminate her rights and award you custody. In a situation like this, you would need to try and fine/serve both her and the father with notice and your intent and give them a chance to respond. If they do not or fail to object to this, then the court may be inclined to grant your request

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have an address for either parent or any contact with them.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

In a situation like that, you would need to ask the Judge to publish on the parents in a local periodical but would first need to make a good faith effort to find them. A process server could do this and run a skip trace, to try and find them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to hire an attorney in order to file all these motions with a judge?
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

For something like this, you really should. It is going to be complicated and take time and you need to make sure it is done properly. When trying to terminate parental rights and adopt, you 100% want an attorney handling this.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify anything. I am here to help so please let me know.